Saturday, December 14, 2013

Privateer by Piraat: Review

Van Steenberge
Belgium


Interesting - nothing on their websites as of this writing about this Ale
11.2oz bottle
10.5% abv

I have not heard of Privateer Ale until I purchased this variety pack of Van Steenberge beers.  I did a little searching and I could not come up with any useful information. I did come across a you tube video of a guy who did not know how to pour a Belgian Ale.  As he is pouring the ale you can see the beer glogging out of the bottle neck.  Belgian beers and many other fine beers need to be poured without that glogging effect.  May work well for a Bud or a Miller but for a lot of quality beers you will get a 5 finger head. 


Appearance: copper-amber body with a creamy eggshell colored head that is thick and long lasting; leaves a curtain of lacing on the glass; hard to get any better looking than a Piraat Ale or in this case a Privateer Ale.  Looks like the old Piraat.


Aroma: some fruit; yeast; light spice; light overall on this bottle

Flavors: not too far off from Piraat; once again probably not too far from the old Piraat – two labels back – the one with the pirate on it; think of the old flavor profile but, this one has a grainy style to it; there is a nice touch of alcohol spice; tart pineapple and apples; the sweetness is a little muted compared to Piraat; this sweetness reminds me of the candied ginger I buy from the spice store; the Privateer might have a little more hops in it; I am going to have to buy another variety six pack so I can try this one again. 


Mouthfeel: low-moderate carbonation; creamy feel; a little grainy; sweet-tart tropical fruit; some alcohol warmth;


To the Point: I drink Piraat on a regular basis; this is not too far off; I drank the ‘new’ label Piraat yesterday and I was thinking they changed it; now I am drinking this Privateer and I am thinking it is similar to the ‘old’ Piraat – two labels ago.  


No comments:

Post a Comment