Monday, March 5, 2012

Guinness Black Lager: Review


Cold Brewed with Roasted Barley

Guinness & Co.
Dublin 8, Ireland
11.2oz bottle
4.5% abv

To me Black Lagers and Brown Ales have one thing in common; neither of them are special, they don’t give you that wow feeling, they are just like that plain Jane.  But, sometimes it is that plain Jane that is getting all the action.  While they may not be ‘special’ I sure do enjoy a good Black Lager or Brown Ale now and then.   

Oh, I know some breweries beef them up to make them unique.  They crank it up on some Hop-roids or sweeten the deal with too much malts and then add in some exotic tree bark.  By this time it is not even close to what the style truly is supposed to be.

Okay, let me get off my stump and get to the review.

Appearance: black body with a fine 2 finger head that leaves some lacing on the glass.

Aroma: a bit lager like, with some lightly roasted grains

Flavors: sweet pumpernickel roll, lightly toasted grains, nothing strong, just enough to make the lager interesting.

Mouthfeel: smooth, light carbonation, refreshing, easy to drink,

My Strength Rating: 3.5 – mild-medium

To the Point: easy to drink, most drinkers could enjoy this black lager, to me this is true to style: nothing special but I sure like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment