Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Weihenstephaner Festbier: Beer Review

5.8% abv
1pt .9oz bottle
$3.60 a bottle
Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Freising, Germany

I did say that I enjoy the Weihenstephan line-up of beers; well, this is their weakest link, my least favorite. I usually will have a bottle or two around Oktoberfest time. I personally do not think of this beer as an Oktoberfest beer. I view it the way they named the beer – Festbier. If I had to review this beer as an Oktoberfest beer I would then have to give it some low marks then. But, hey I don’t grade beers. Let’s review this baby.

The color is golden with a nice looking head. The aroma is grainy with toasted malts. The taste is sourdough bread, slightly toasted grains, and a little yeasty. There is a little hoppy note left on the tongue and it has a faint lemon-like nip to it.

The texture is crisp and smooth overall.

This is a good beer to mix in with those Oktoberfest beers – to help change the pace.

Tomorrow Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier and Weizenbock Vitus

No comments:

Post a Comment