Monday, November 28, 2011

Bell's Cherry Stout: Review


Bell’s Brewery, Inc
Comstock, Michigan, USA
7% abv
12oz bottle
$16.99 a six pack
Packaged on 10/4/11
Stout brewed with Michigan cherry juice

The few beers that I have had with cherries added to the mix I have not truly enjoyed.  So, let’s see if Bells can pull it off.

Appearance: black body with a toasty tan ½ finger head that leaves very little lacing if any.

Aroma: to me there is not much on the nose, I do pick up the cherry juice, but the stout notes seem settle,

Flavors: oh yes, the cherry flavor is pleasing with a stout background giving it some body. 

Mouthfeel: smoother than I expected, some nice stout like bitterness but not powerful, lingering cherry and roasted notes on the palate.

My Strength Rating: 6 – medium-full overall to me

To the Point: leave it to Bell’s to do it right with the cherry flavor.  I cannot think of one beer with cherry added to it that I would drink again but, I would do this and good thing since I bought a six pack.  I think the wife may even like this stout and she does not like to many stouts. 

The questions is - 'is it worth the price?'

I think the Kristoff Maduro Cigar would make a very good pairing.  I am enjoying the rest of this stout with the Padilla Limitado 2006 Maduro Belicoso.  

No comments:

Post a Comment