Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Right Brain Igor Imperial Brown Ale: Review


Igor Takes a Digger

Right Brain Brewery
Traverse City, Michigan, USA
7.7% abv
22 oz bottle
$11.00 a bottle

Appearance: dark brown body with a half finger light beige head; some spotty lacing on the glass.  A one finger pour on the second half of the bottle with an aggressive pour. 

Aroma: very light bready nose; not much else; as it warms – a little more sweet malts start to show

Flavors: light yet rich malts, toasted earthy grains and caramel; nice light hop bitterness on the mid; light fig; as the ale warms the rich malts notes become a little more flavorful,

Mouthfeel: smooth, oily, no carbonation, light for an Imperial, medium body overall, easy to drink, light lingering bitterness, the alcohol is not a factor

My Strength Rating: 5.5 – medium overall


To the Point: not big; not a wow factor here; but, I like it; the flavors come together for an enjoyable experience – now, would I pay 11  bucks for another one … maybe … take my likeness off the label – I am sensitive you know … sure  


I paired this Ale with the Brazilia Box-Press cigar.  This quality earthy and spicy cigar really helps this ale.  The spice from the cigar helps to bring out the alcohol spice in the ale.  The earthy style of the cigar seems to give the ale a little more body.  These two are very good together. 


I have not smoked this cigar in a long time but, when I saw it in the humidor I thought, ‘this should be a good match for this ale.’  Yes, I do talk to myself but, I do not answer myself – okay most of the times.  This is one of my favorite cigars and I probably have 30 of them in the humidor.  I think I should do a Cigar Series Pairing with this stick.  


No comments:

Post a Comment