Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Leinenkugel’s Cranberry Ginger Shandy Review

Leinenkugel’s
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, USA


4.2% abv
11 IBU
Seasonal: Nov-Feb

I am not a Shandy fan to start with but, cranberry and ginger sounds good to me.  The only thing worse than a Shandy beer would be wrinkles in your wrinkle free shirt.



Change the label to pre-wrinkled

Appearance: misty dull gold body with a one finger white head; no lacing

Aroma: candied ginger and cranberry; sweet dusty wheat

Flavors: follow the nose; candy sugar up front followed by a light tart cranberry note then a hit of candied ginger; sweet soda water swirls the palate; touch of sweet dusty wheat tries to mix in

Mouthfeel: light yet firm fizzy feel from the carbonation; light to moderate body; sweet! – the 11 IBUs is spot on; there is a light tart note on the mid then washed away by the sweet candied notes and then on the aftertaste there is a hint of a dry tart note,

To the Point: while the main profile is sweet it is not overwhelming; I did grow tired of it though; I can drink about a half a bottle or three quarters of a bottle and then I am done; but then I am not a sweet Shandy fan or a Shandy fan period; For this one to work for me I would like it to be a straight forward spicy ginger with a firm tart cranberry note with a distinct golden wheat taste and bring it up to a 35 IBU;

Another perfect girly beer by Leinenkugel’s


No comments:

Post a Comment