Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Liberty Street Starkweather Stout: Review

The Stout
Liberty Street Starkweather Stout
6.3% abv
Growler
Liberty Street Brewing Co.
Plymouth, Michigan, USA
Located on 149 W. Liberty Street
My Strength Rating: 5.5

If you live in the Detroit Metro area make your way to Old Village Plymouth, Michigan.  This little brew pub has nine different beers on tap.  I made my way home with a growler full of their stout. 
Appearance: Black body with brown highlights.  Barely any head due to the low carbonation.
Aroma: Chocolate and coffee.

Flavors: Right off I notice the roasted grains.  This roasted profile is very nice in my book.  I get a bit of a dark chocolate note and the medium roast coffee taste is front and center to me.  There is slight hoppy bitterness that builds some character. 

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and easy to drink stout.  The carbonation is very low. The body is only medium weight to me and the aftertaste is not strong. 

To me: I like the overall taste profile of this stout.  I wish the body weight was a little heavier and the texture a little creamier.  But, I am going back for more!

To the Point: If you like a roasted style stout this is very nice.  Throw in some nice roasted coffee notes and a touch of chocolate this is it. 

 

3 comments:

  1. I love the beer. But the past 3 six pack I have purchased have been over carbonated or contaminated. One or the other. Its like I shook the bottle before I opened it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ll bet that the bottle beer they make is not pasteurized which means it needs to be in the cooler and not on the store shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete