Thursday, June 20, 2013

Samuel Adams New World: Review

The Boston Beer Company
Boston, Massachusetts, USA


Barrel Room Collection
Ale Aged in Oak Barrels
A Golden Tripel with Notes of Spice and Tropical Fruit
10% abv
1pt 9.4oz bottle
$9.99 The Super Fine Wine & Liquor in Canton, Michigan

The first glass poured.  See how clear it looks.

Appearance: clear honey gold body with a one finger white head that leaves some lacing.  There has to be sediment on the bottom of this big bottle.  This is the problem I have with big bottles.  After I poured the first glass I was able to swirl the bottle to get some of the sediment off the bottom of the bottle.  Now the color is a misty amber with gold highlights. 

Second glass poured and I got the sediment (yeast) into the mix.
See the color difference.
Aroma: light pineapple, with a hint of spice – seems like clove; the aroma was a little better on the second glass – so, get that sediment (that Belgian yeast) into the glass. 

Flavors: sweet pineapple-mango, hint of herbal notes, touch of spicy clove, nice touch of amber honey


Mouthfeel: smooth, semi-creamy feel, low carbonation that gives a super fine fizzy feel, light sweet tropical fruit, red banana on the aftertaste


To the Point: pretty much what they say on the bottle, “…subtle herbal hop character combined with the tropical fruit and spice notes of its special Belgian yeast.”

They also call it ‘complex’ – I’ll call it semi-complex at best.  They also say ‘flavorful’ – yes it is – if you like Belgian-style ales.  This is a simple tasty Tripel-style.  I like the taste and the mouthfeel.  It is very easy to drink and the 10% abv really does not play a role.  I don’t get any alcohol peppery feel or warmth.  (now that I am near the bottom of the bottle I do feel the 10%)



The packaging – the bottle – is super cool.  The price is right.  And, I am planning to buy more.  


No comments:

Post a Comment