Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Bell’s 25th Anniversary Ale: Review


8.5% abv
12oz bottle
$3.99 a bottle
Bell’s Brewery, Inc.
Comstock, Michigan, USA

This beer is made with Michigan-grown barley malt.

Appearance: deep amber with a reddish tint, cream colored head, fine lacing on the glass.

Aroma: this ale has a wonderful bouquet.  It seems like the last few beers I have reviewed had little to no aroma.  Sweet malts, toasted grains, nice hop presence with a touch of waxy pine.

Flavors: similar to the nose.  Sweet malts, old fashioned candy cough drop, and there is a strange note like what was on the nose (I called it waxy pine).  Well, let’s stay consistent, waxy pine it is with some grated citrus rinds.  It seems to have a little raisin like character in the mix. Firm salty taste.

I think people either like this or can do without it.  While, it has that strange note on the nose and taste I like it. 

Mouthfeel: smooth on the deliver with a moment of creaminess and then there is a bitter note that takes a bite on the back of the tongue.  Lingering light pine, dry grass, and damn here I go with this strange note again … I am going to have to say it’s a salty licorice. 

My Strength Rating: 7.5

No comments:

Post a Comment