Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Mt. Pleasant Train Wreck: Lunch Time Review

Mt. Pleasant Brewing Company
Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, USA


8.2% abv
12oz bottle
Amber ale brewed with maple syrup & honey

I remember having this ale a few years ago in a bar in the town of Elkton, Michigan. I remember that sweet amber ale taste. 

Appearance: bronzy amber body, heavy mist for clarity with maybe a one finger off-white head that leaves some spotty lacing



Aroma: a sweet grainy amber ale like aroma

Flavors: grains; toasted caramel malts; the maple syrup and honey are adding to the sweetness but, I can’t say, ‘hey that’s maple syrup’ or ‘hey that’s honey;’ the hops add a prickly bite to the herbal like bitter note; dry musty white pepper likeness coming from the alcohol on the back  


Mouthfeel: prickly wool like; fine moderate carbonation; sweet on the mid; dry bitterness on the back and finish; an earthy herbal bitterness lingers; dry; full-medium; the syrup & honey must be adding some weight to the tongue;


I paired this with a Smoked Gouda and Mushroom Burger (mixed into the burger) topped it off with grilled portabella mushroom, red pepper, pinch of hickory smoked sea salt, and  Merlot sauce. 



To the Point: Train Wreck – sweetness on the front collides with the bitterness on the back; trying to have balance but, they are not melding together; I like this ale – I would buy it again; I have to say I like it better on tap than in the bottle; this ale is very good with a sandwich


No comments:

Post a Comment