Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Right Brain Looping Owl: Review


Amber Ale Aged in Whiskey Barrels
Right Brain Brewery
Traverse City, Michigan, USA
22 oz bottle / 1pt 6oz
6.5% abv
$11.00 a bottle

This ale is aged in Whisky barrels from the Grand Traverse Distillery.  I have had a few of their beverages; Rye, Straight Rye and Bourbon Whiskey.  I’ll have to get the Bourbon Whiskey out and have a few sips during this review. 

I purchased a variety four pack of 22 oz bottles for 45 buck at the brewery.  That is a bit pricy but they are just starting to bottle their beers. 

Appearance: rich amber body with a very little fizzy head and no lacing.  Refilled the glass with an aggressive pour and got a light beige ¼ inch head. 

Aroma: a very faint malty bready nose, I am waiting for the whiskey or oak … half way thru the bottle and still waiting for the whiskey or oak. 


Flavors: this is nice; lightly toasted grains, toasted sweet bread, touch of sweet whisky, soft herbal/grassy hop note, I’m thinking of a light pecan note – interesting because I am waiting for a strong oaky note, the light oak is more on the finish and aftertaste. 

Mouthfeel: very light fizzy carbonation, smooth, light toasted notes on the taste and aftertaste. 

To the Point: on my first sip I said, ‘this is nice’ and I’ll have to stay with that; this ale does not have that wow factor but it is very nice and enjoyable to drink.  I bought two bottles of this ale and I am glad I did. 


Just poured the Grand Traverse Whiskey and it smells like Whiskey – sweet corn Whiskey.  I wish the ale picked up some of the Whiskey aroma.  


No comments:

Post a Comment