Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Smoking Wood Rye Porter Aged in Bourbon Barrels

Placentia, California, USA


1pt 9.4oz bottle
$19.99 a bottle
14% abv
unfiltered
2014 Edition
Smoked imperial rye porter aged in bourbon barrels

Back around September 20th my Dad sold his house in one day without telling me that he was going to do so.  My sister took him to see an independent living place for him and Mom. The next day he called a Real Estate company and sold his condo the next day for $25,000 more than his asking price.  Needless to say, I was not happy.  He was not signed up at the independent living place yet.  Well, long story short I have not had a chance to do a beer review in the last two months because I had get everything out of his house within a month.

I sure am glad to finally post here on my beer blog.  I bought a bottle of this Smoking Wood Rye Porter during that time and I liked it so much I went back and bought four more bottles.  Oh yeah, my Mom and Dad did get into their new independent living place and are doing as best as you can.


Appearance: black body with a brown rim with a thin dark tan head if you get that you’ll be lucky; not much on the lacing the glass is clean after each sip

Aroma: wow, smoky molasses, the nose is intoxicating, if you like smoked ales you need to smell this baby , molasses, roasted vanilla, hint of oak, roasted grains, and did I say it was very smoky.

Flavors: the taste does not disappoint; smoky notes abound, roasted vanilla, molasses, espresso, dark chocolate bitterness, black licorice, light rye spice, pleasing oak,   

Mouthfeel: semi-thick, rich, clings to the palate, no carbonation, lingering roasted notes, long aftertaste, quality oak wood flavoring from the barrel aging,  


To the Point: this is one great smoked porter, this is a must buy for anyone who loves smoked barrel aged ales, if they have anymore I am buying another four bottles  


No comments:

Post a Comment