Thursday, January 9, 2014

Dark Horse Sapient Trip Ale: Review

Dark Horse Brewing
Marshall, Michigan, USA


9.5% abv
Belgian Style Trippel

Appearance: hazy amber body; not much of a head to speak of and I tried to give the last quarter of the bottle an aggressive pour to get the head up; not much on the lacing front


Aroma: dull fruit; old yeast paste; dusty hint of clove; very uninspiring

Flavors: dull is a good word; take an old apricot, pear, over ripened banana peel, and some golden raisins and mash them up – that is the best I can do for a non-descript dull fruity style; there is a hint of that dusty clove spice on the back; oh, don’t forget the cheap Belgian yeast taste

Mouthfeel: almost moderate carbonation, seems low for the style; dull fruit and dusty yeast notes linger on the palate; dry to very dry; medium body; the alcohol (9.5) did not really play a big role in the flavor nor mouthfeel; it did not come across boozy


To the Point: this is my second bottle of this ale; I tried this beer last week and thought, ‘how in the world do I review this bitch’; sorry I don’t mean to slander you bitches out there; a very uninspiring Tripel Belgian Style Ale; I expect much better out of Dark Horse Brewery.    The only thing good is the 9.5 abv which I can feel in the head.  Not worthy to even purchase and try.  


No comments:

Post a Comment