Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest: Review


Original Oktoberfest
Amber Marzen
5.8% abv
Bottle size: 330ml
Best before date: 6/12
$10.99 a six pack

I stopped a bar the other day (first time in a long time) and they had this beer on tap.  I have not had it in a few years so I gave it a whirl.  It seemed thin tasting that day at the bar but, that did not stop me from buying a case the next day when I stopped by the party store. 


Appearance: rich amber with a coppery shin in the highlights.  White head that was okay.  Some lacing at first nothing impressive … it washes away pretty quickly. 

Aroma: sweet lightly toasted caramel malts, light breadiness,

Flavors and Mouthfeel: light in body, smooth, easy to drink or to pair with something to eat.  Light grains, soft toasted bready note, soft Oktoberfest type spice, nice balance from this Oktoberfest when the sweetness hits the palate on delivery and then the bitterness (not overwhelming) from the hops come onto the scene to keep things in check. 

This is still a classic Oktoberfest.  A good one to drink to understand the style but, then you can decide which direction to go when drinking other Oktoberfest style beers.  Leinenkugle’s Oktoberfest I think is much lighter than this or do you head to a spicy Samuel Adams.  While I do like the ones with a spicier style I can only drink a few (2 or 3) of this type in one session.   

No comments:

Post a Comment