Friday, March 1, 2013

Witch's Hat Three Kord Kolsch: Review


Witch’s Hat Brewing
South Lyon, Michigan, USA
5% abv
27 IBU’s
Cologne Germany style Kolsch
64 oz Growler

You don’t see this German style very often.  So, I had to try it when I saw it.  Kolsch is normally served in a cylindrical glass – also called a stange or pole glass.  Traditionally, this beer would be drunk from smaller glasses due to the beers deteriorating flavor as it warms up in the glass.  

Appearance: misty yellow-gold with a white head and not much on the lacing

Aroma: nice summertime white fruity notes and white bread

Flavors:  light summertime white fruit – reminding me of pear and white peach; fresh dough, hard water, light grains, and maybe fuggle hops for a fresh hoppy feel and a slight dry finish. 

Mouthfeel: crisp, fresh, light tasty grains on the aftertaste.  There is a fine fizzy carbonation feel.  It seems perfect for a hot summer day.  I like this beer. 

To the Point: I have only had a couple of Kolsch style beers but, this is tasty.  From what I read about the Kolsch style it seems pretty true to its style; simple, lightly fruity, easy to drink, refreshing, yellow-gold in color.  I have to give them an A+ for keeping it true to its style.  

No comments:

Post a Comment