Thursday, May 10, 2012

Shiner Spring Ale: Review



Dortmunder Style
5.5% abv
Spoetzl Brewery
Shiner, Texas, USA
$8.99 a six pack

Appearance: sparkling clear amber with a slightly off-white head that thins out fairly quickly and leaves a little bit of lacing on the glass with each sip.

Aroma: grains, grassy maybe heather like, with a touch of sweetness swirling around.

Flavors: makes me think of a 9 grain bread taste on the delivery and then by mid-palate a grassy hop bitter note takes over to the finish.  The two flavors meet again on the finish to create a nut bread like aftertaste.  The more I sip on this beer the more I think about it having a solid mineral water like quality. 

Mouthfeel: lightly sweet on the deliver; light/moderate bitterness on the mid and finish; on the light side of moderate for the feel of the carbonation, a little dry on the finish. 

To the Point: a tasty Dortmunder, I think it may go well with a German Brat – oops, can I say that now a days – the politically correct police may be after me now.  Anyways, not a bad beer overall so, I would say it is worthy of one six pack to go. 


No comments:

Post a Comment