Monday, May 21, 2012

Leelanau Brewing Petoskey Pale Ale: Review


Ale Aged in Oak Barrels
Leelanau Brewing Company
Traverse City, Michigan, USA
Brewed by: Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales
Dexter, Michigan, USA
1pt 9.4oz bottle
$18.99 a bottle
5.5% abv

The ale is aged in over-sized French oak vats with Petoskey Stones.

Opening the bottle is a treat in itself – oh the aroma is just wonderful.

I have never had this ale before so, I don’t know what I am going to get into here. 

Appearance: an attractive amber-orange body with a solid two finger head that leaves some nice lacing on the glass. 

Aroma: fresh citrus orange peel, oak for sure, sweet malts swirling

Flavors: Okay, it does not make me think of a Pale Ale.  A tasty apricot note hits me first and I am not a fan of apricot but, I like this one.  A light orange peel comes through to add a tangy feel, with light spice that is reminding me of a soft coriander, earthy yeast with a nice touch of mineral water,

Mouthfeel: smooth, low-moderate carbonation, tangy citrus on the taste, soft citrus bitterness on the finish, 

I had to place this Pale Ale here in the Sring/Summer Seasonal month here because of its flavor profile.  

No comments:

Post a Comment