Monday, August 16, 2010

3 Different Berry Beers Tasting

Samuel Smith’s Strawberry – Purple Haze Raspberry Wheat – Southern Tier Raspberry Wheat
I did a tasting with these three Berry Beers using my 2 oz tasting glasses.

Sam’l Smith Organic Handcrafted Fruit Ale Strawberry
5.2% abv
1pt. 2.7oz or 550ml
Brewed at Melbourn Bros. Brewery and blended and bottled at Samuel Smith’s Brewery.
England
They say they use organic strawberry fruit juice in this ale.

Taste: This beer has a rich strawberry cream shortcake flavor. It is not overly sweet. This was actually pretty tasty to me and I hate these kind of beers. I don’t think I could drink more than a few ounces of this beer but, it is tasty.

Purple Haze Raspberry Wheat Brew
4.2% abv
12oz bottle
Abita Brewing Co.
Abita Springs, Louisiana, USA
It says on the bottle, ‘Purple Haze is a crisp American Style wheat beer with a fresh raspberry puree added after filtration.’

Taste: Not a very tasty berry flavor. There is a slight bitterness and a decent wheat profile to the taste.
I don’t think I would even want to drink one of these. Good thing the wife likes this stuff.

Southern Tier Raspberry Wheat Beer
4.5% abv
12oz bottle
Southern Tier Brewing Co.
Lakewood, New York, USA

Taste: This has a better raspberry flavor than the Purple Haze. It has a little sweetness, no bitterness, and a big watery edge. This is a little more drinkable than the Purple Haze. Once again, it is a good beer for the wife. I won’t be drinking this anytime soon.

If you have tried these before – what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment