Thursday, May 9, 2013

Sullivan’s Black Forest Pirate’s Porter: Review

sorry for the bad pic

Sullivan’s Black Forest Brew Haus & Grill
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA
5.3% abv
25 IBU’s
$4 a pint
$10 growler refill

Frankenmuth has two local breweries, Frankenmuth Brewery and Sullivan’s, and personally … I prefer Sullivan’s.  I am sure I have mentioned that before on the blog.  The Frankenmuth Brewery is located at the north end of downtown.  Sullivan’s Brew Haus is behind Bronner’s on Weiss Street. 

While I have only reviewed two or three of their beers I have enjoyed all the ones I have drunk over the years.  Why do I prefer Sullivan’s … I really like their Porter and the variety of different stouts that they brew.  Every time I stop by they have a different stout.  I need to start reviewing these different babies.  The Pirate’s Porter has been a very good Porter and today is about time I review this sucker. This porter is a regular on their beer menu.

I am at Sullivan’s so the lighting and the atmosphere is going to be difficult for me to judge the look and aroma. 

Appearance: pretty black body with a thin tan head and no lacing

Aroma: rich roasted grains and fresh roasted coffee beans, if there is more I don’t care for I like what I smell at this point. 

Flavors: oh yes, I have always enjoyed this Porter; medium-full roasted coffee, roasted and slightly burnt grains just makes the experience even better, one could make the argument for a burnt chocolate note. 

Mouthfeel: actually, smooth for all the roasted and burnt type notes, no to low carbonation adds to the smooth texture, low bitterness (25 IBU’s), you get a coffee and/or dark chocolate like bitter style. 

To the Point: I still like the Pirate’s Porter.  This has a very good coffee and toasted grain flavor and is always a favorite of mine.  If you like porters and find yourself in Frankenmuth Michigan stop on by Sullivan’s Blackforest and enjoy a pint or two.  

No comments:

Post a Comment