Friday, May 27, 2011

St Bernardus Abt 12: Review


Belgian Abbey Ale
10% abv
1pt 9.4oz bottle
$13.00 a bottle

Appearance: brown body with a 2 finger off-white head that leaves some lacing on the glass.

Aroma: The bouquet is mild to me.  But, I don’t have the great sniffer that my wife has.  Sweet and dried dark fruits are all I get.

Flavors: sweet malts, raisins, fig, prunes, fruit and nut bread, and a touch of floral hops (violet).  I am not detecting any alcohol or boozy taste.  A touch of hop bitterness is in the background.  

Mouthfeel: medium-full body, fine carbonation, and a lingering dried dark fruity finish.

My Strength Rating: 7 – it just feels filling

To the Point: my overall impression is above average.  The flavors are nice but, are lacking interest to me.  I think, the flavor is to one dimensional on the dark dried fruit profile. Nothing flavor wise stands out as heavy in body weight but, it feels weighty overall.  Maybe drink this before a meal and you will eat less. 

No comments:

Post a Comment