Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Great Lakes Brewing Blackout Stout: Review


Russian Imperial Stout
Great Lakes Brewing Company
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
9%abv

Named after the 2003 blackout that left the northeast United States in the dark and I remember being at my place up north Michigan waiting for my family and friends to show up and could not figure out way they were all running late and I could not get ahold of anybody by phone.  I have no TV at my summer place so; I did not know what was going on.  We had power and the lower part of Michigan did not.  I remember the strange feeling I had when nobodies phone worked. 

Appearance: black as midnight in Grindstone City with a full one finger tan head

Aroma: medium roasted coffee, smoky and not much else.  I even gave it to my bloodhound wife and she came up with the same thing. 

Flavors: roasted barley, medium-full roasted coffee with some 70% dark chocolate, medium roasted coffee beans, and wow … watch out for the 9% abv for I don’t notice any alcohol and this is smooth to drink

Mouthfeel: smooth, semi-creamy, thick oily feel, low carbonation, light-moderate bitterness,

My Strength Rating: 6 – I think that is low for a Russian Stout but, this is just smooth

To the Point: you want a smooth and elegant Russian Stout this is it.  I’ll call it good to very good for an Imperial Russian Stout style.  I would expect a bolder coffee and chocolate with a bite from the alcohol; without going overboard.  Plus points for this stout for its elegant style.

I am looking forward to having a quality cigar with this stout.   


No comments:

Post a Comment