Friday, February 21, 2014

Scotch Silly Port Barrel Aged: Review

Br. De Silly
Silly, Belgium


9% abv
Serve 45 degrees
750ml bottle
$13.00 Ashley’s of Westland, Michigan

I had to buy two of these bottles because I love a great tawny port.  Now, take an already sweet ale, Scotch Silly, add some port barrel aging and this could be really good.

Appearance: nice medium-dark amber with a hint of ruby port color to the body with a one finger tan head and not much on the lacing front


Aroma: sweet malty nose; whiff of cotton candy sugar; not much on the port

Flavors: tart apple; caramel; sweet grains; caramel/toffee cotton candy; dried out stale black licorice; oak spice; flavors just seem DE shoveled
I sure am missing the port concept here – I love a nutty port with a rich caramel/toffee style with a nice woody quality and some dark fruits.  All this is - is a slightly tart Scotch Silly.

Mouthfeel: dry; tart yet sweet; low carbonation; bitterness on the finish; lighter than I expected in body; dirty tart aftertaste

To the Point: wow, 87 points on BA with 26 reviews; I’ll bet $100 that only two of them have ever had a great port – hell, I’ll bet only four of them have ever had a port;

This is not all that interesting to me; I don’t know if I could even give it a 72% to keep it in the C range I’ll have to give it a C-.  Damn, I had a fine cigar planned for this ale. 


Anybody want to buy my second bottle.  


No comments:

Post a Comment