Sunday, December 19, 2010

Aventinus: Review

8.2% abv
500ml bottle
$5.60 a bottle
G. Schneider & Sohn
Kelheim, Bavaria, Germany

This is an ale you can play the game ‘what am I tasting,’ for there are so many flavors happening.

This wheat-doppelbock ale pours a murky brown body with an off-white head. Nice sweet fruit, caramel, yeast, and touch of clove on the nose. The clove taste picks up on the taste. There are plenty of tasty sweet tropical fruits like banana and pineapple. A touch of milk chocolate, hint of toffee, and a little sweet raisin just adds to this complex beer. I like the nutty, grainy, and yeasty notes which make me think of fruit bread.

There is a little earthy feel and the slight carbonation helps to deliver a smooth finish.

I remember reading a review on this brew back in the spring of this year and they had the note of bubblegum on the nose. I also remember with a little laugh saying no way. Well, today with this bottle I smell bubblegum. Also, on this bottle, the banana note is not as strong as I have had before. Maybe, because of the age on this bottle – it is from the spring time and I drank all others and left this one behind to sample with some age on this ale. Honestly, I was going to age it for one year – but, today I failed with that experiment.

Food and or cigars to pair with this ale – NONE! Drink this wonderful and delicious ale all by itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment