Monday, March 12, 2012

Frankenmuth Brewery Red Sky: Review


Red Sky Irish Style Ale
Frankenmuth Brewing Co.
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA
5.25% abv
23 IBU

This is the craziest beer I have ever experienced.  It is just too inconsistent.   
I drink it from a bottle and I really like it – it had a nice malt and spice style;
I pour it from the bottle to the glass and it is okay – I don’t notice the spice as much;
I have had this on tap at the brewery and it was a malt bomb that I could not finish. 

Poured into a pint glass:

Appearance: it’s a clear red with an amber tint, the off white head was bubbly and with an aggressive pour I barely got a one finger head.

Aroma: lager like, some sweet malts,

Flavors: lightly toasted grains and malts, light caramel, very light grassy hops, light spice

Mouthfeel: clean, too clean, no aftertaste, watery edge, low to moderate carbonation.

My Strength Rating: 2 – for this review

From the Bottle
The carbonation comes across stronger than from the glass (moderate).  The grassy and spicy hops are a little more noticeable but nothing that stands out.  The malts are still the same.   

The only thing I can think of with this Ale is that it depends on what batch you get for the ones I had last summer (in the bottle) had a better spicy style.  But, I then went next door to the brewery and had it on tap and it was a malt bomb. 

No comments:

Post a Comment