Monday, July 18, 2011

Samuel Adams Boston Ale: Review

Samuel Adams Boston Lager and Ale Side by Side Tasting


For some reason I have never bought these beers before last year.  I ordered a Samuel Adams one time at a bar (last year) and I was not impressed.  The beer was golden yellow and tasted like some basic lager.  This past weekend I bought one again at a bar while getting a pizza and I was impressed.  This time the beer was amber in color and tasted similar to the Boston Ale (going from memory).  I think the bar last year served me the wrong beer. 

In the fall of last year was the first time I had a Boston Ale.  I enjoyed several of them while watching a horrible University of Michigan football game.  The ale had a very nice spicy profile.

Today, I am going to do a side by side comparison of these two beers to figure out if I like this Boston Lager or not and if it is similar to the Ale or not. 

Boston Ale
Brewmaster’s Collection
4.94% abv really .94 not .93 or .95
$8.99 a six pack
Boston Beer Company
Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Appearance: nice amber color with a tint of copper, off-white head (1 finger), dissipates fairly quickly, some sticky lacing on the glass.

Aroma: very light, muted, hard to pick up malty sweetness and even harder to find hoppy note.  Below average nose on this ale.

Flavors: not like the ones I had last year.  Delicate hoppy spice, touch of toasted malts and sweet caramel make for a nice balanced ale.

Mouthfeel: smooth yet dry texture; dry hoppy spice on the finish and lingering aftertaste.  Light carbonation.

My Strength Rating: 4/4.5

To the Point: Add a little more peppery spice on the tasting profile and this would be a winner in my book.  But, for what it has, it is slightly above average. 

Visit CigarPostings for the cigar pairing

No comments:

Post a Comment