Tuesday, April 5, 2011

EMCO 400 Storm Door

Beer blog and a Door?  Sure, I have to go out this door to get to my cigar bar in the garage so, this door is very important to my beer blog and other blogs as well.  If you think that is weak how about, I need some place to vent and I need to send this to the company who makes this door.


So, grab a beer and pull up to the bar and listen to my complaint. 

Six months ago Home Depot installed a 400 Series EMCO side door and an Anderson 3000? (which is just fine)  That was back at the beginning of November.  By January of this year the gasket on the bottom of the 400 Series door was starting to come off.  By February it looked bad and I headed off to Home Depot.  They just gave me the Anderson/EMCO flyer and said call them. 

Now, this is not the only problem with the door.  This door only closes about 10 or 20 % of the time.  The door jack must not be strong enough to close this door on the final half inch. 


The gasket is half off and


the door does not close properly all the time so cold air is getting in between this door and the house door and that made the inside of this screen door freeze up.  Yes, there was ice on the inside of this door all winter from January thru February. 


By March I finally call EMCO about the door issue.  They said they would send me a replacement gasket. A onetime free of charge gasket.  Gaskets are not part of warranties (seems like an important part to me). 


See the pin on the left side of the picture - no clip was installed

I then go to the door to see how I am going to have to take this door apart to get the new gasket on when it shows up.  That is when I see that all the inside screws and metal bracket are all rusted. 


So, that just means that next year or this year that rust will be running down the nickel plating on the door and this is just going to look really nice. 


It took my last screen door 20 years to look like crap and this one is heading for the scrap pile in its first year. 




Here is my up date 1 - 15-2012

You can see by the pictures (below) the gasket on the bottom of the door riped again and I had to replace it with a door sweep that I bought at the local hardware store.  Anderson Doors wanted me to pay for a new one. 
This door is just over one year old and it is a piece of crap.  I had another door there for twenty years and the gasket never riped nor did the screws all rust out.  It took twenty years for that door to start to fall apart and this EMCO 400 door by Anderson is not going to last three years till I have to replace it with a quality door.






6 comments:

  1. Home Depot did send someone to fix the gasket that I had to order. They did not send him with any replacement screws nor did they fix the doors inability to close properely. Every time we go out the door we have to stand there till it retracts and then we have to close it shut by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In December the gasket started to rip again. So, I just bought a door swipe at the hardware store. This door is crap. It still does not shut right. Do not buy this door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, as for Home Depot, I will never set foot in that place again. Between this door and the poor job that they managed for siding my garage - and once the job is done they don't know who the hell you are - I shopped at the Depot since they opened up and now I will never deal with them again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bruce, Sorry you had such a bad a experience with Home Depot. There is a number that you can call to get satisfaction. Maybe other stores are different, but my store takes customer service very seriously. If you call 1-800-553-3199 and tell them what the problem is, they will fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bruce, there are two Home Depot stores in my town and the comment above is dead on. The store on Eastwood sucks and the one on Carolina Beach Rd. is incredible. I too had problems with one of these doors and have filed a warranty claim. It was totally replaced under warranty. Today I filed another warranty claim on the front door. I hope it goes as well as the claim on the doggie door.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I high appreciate this post. It’s hard to find the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it! would you mind updating your blog with more information?
    www.pinellaswindowsanddoors.com

    ReplyDelete