Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Atwater Teufel: Review

Atwater Block Brewery
Detroit, Michigan, USA


10.9% abv
20 IBUs
Style: Weizen Dopplebock
Four pack of 12 oz bottles
$10.99

Appearance: brown copper with some bronzy highlights; one finger – if that – bone white head that leaves some lacing; rather clear for the style


Aroma: basic malts with a dusting of wheat bread

Flavor: sweet brown fruit bread – you know the kind that has some raisins and other fruits along with some walnuts and a hint of spice; lightly toasted wheat; dusty grains; I was ready for a stronger sweet note, the sweetness is rather mild on the nose;

Mouthfeel: sweet, but only on the mild side of medium sweet; the alcohol is not really playing a role here to me; lightly roasted grains linger; sweet malts with a mild nut shell bitter note on the finish; medium body for a Dopplebock;

To the Point: Dopplebocks are not one of my favorite styles but, I like them; interesting enough is that a German Weizen Eisbock and Wheat Dopplebock are in my top five favorite beers; Teufel is a very pleasing Weizen Dopplebock with a nice 10% abv; the sweetness is not in your face; it is semi-complex; if I was grading this beer I would give it a B … naw … let me give it a B+.


Had a second Teufel with a Hemingway Classic Cigar and it was just perfect.  


No comments:

Post a Comment