Sunday, January 6, 2013

Sullivan’s Cold Moon Imperial Stout: Review


Sullivan’s Black Forest Brew Haus and Grill
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA
9.8% abv
$20 growler refill

Frankenmuth Michigan has two good breweries; one is named Frankenmuth Brewery and the other is Sullivan’s.  Frankenmuth Brewery is located in-town on the main drag.  Sullivan’s is located off Weiss Street - the road that goes behind Bronner’s Christmas Store.

Appearance: black as night with a dark roasted head

Aroma: big time fresh in the bag coffee bean with some dark chocolate in the mix

Flavors: follows the nose to a tee. Dark roast coffee with a solid dark chocolate flavor and a little pumpernickel bread swirling around


Mouthfeel: thick texture, moderate 80% dark chocolate like bitterness on the mid and finish, lingering earthy coffee feel, no to low carbonation

To the Point: if you like coffee and dark chocolate – this is for you – I know it is for me!  I love coffee, I love dark chocolate and I love beer – and if you bring all three together it is a winner in my book.  Pair this stout with some fresh peanuts. 

Sullivan’s Brewery is a must visit when you are in Frankenmuth Michigan.  They have good to very good food and I have always preferred their beer to the other brewery in town.   


No comments:

Post a Comment