Monday, April 29, 2013

Distorter Porter: Review


The Porter

Distorter Porter
Greenbush Distorter Porter
Greenbush Brewing
Sawyer, Michigan, USA
7.2% abv
50 IBUs

On the bottle: A stout-ish porter with a touchof porter-ish stout.  …a robust porter blurring the lines between a porter and a stout. 

Appearance: dense black body with a rich two finger tan head that is leaving some lacing on the glass.

Aroma: roasted grains, roasted coffee, light smoky feel, some chocolate in the mix, there is an interesting note under the roasted notes and I had to go into the house to pick it up a little better – it’s like a cherry cola or a cherry-vanilla cola; overall all a terrific bouquet.  

Flavors: toasted grains, campfire, dark roasted coffee, dark Swiss chocolate, there is a toasted cola caramel-ish note on the edges, there is a little sweet toasted sugar note floating around – almost like a well roasted campfire marshmallow but, it fades in and out on the palate.  

Mouthfeel: low-moderate carbonation, smooth, almost creamy feel, burnt grains on the finish, nice bitterness to me. 

To the Point: I missed the boat on this one.  I only bought one bottle to give it a try.  I’ll be back for more as soon as I can.  I really like this Porter.  This is no thin wimpy stuff here. 


The Cigar

I enjoyed the second half of this beer with a CAO Amazon Brazilia Cigar.  Oh, this Distorter is meant to be consumed while smoking a fine cigar and I thought of this one right away so I made my way to the humidor
and picked one out.  The Brazilia Amazon has a nice roasted coffee and dark chocolate profile itself.  The Amazon also has a little spice that reminds me of white and green peppercorn. 

The spiciness of the cigar seems to transfer over to the Porter.  When I drink the Porter first and then puff on the cigar, the smooth and almost creamy mouthfeel seems to transfer over to the cigar for a pleasing experience.  This two are sharing their strengths – how niceJ

I was worried that the rich toasted and campfire wood-like notes of the Ale when mix with a cigar might be too much of the same thing.  Well … no.  I think the cigar actually soothes the Ales toasted and slightly burnt notes. 

The coffee and chocolate notes mingle well.  This is a very nice medium-full bodied pairing.  I am going to remember this one for sitting by the campfire up north next weekend.   

No comments:

Post a Comment