Sunday, January 13, 2013

Samuel Adams Merry Mischief: Review


Gingerbread Stout
Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and ginger
Boston Beer Company
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
9% abv
1pt 6oz bottle
$6.99 a bottle

I have to admit it right now – I don’t want to taste or review another holiday beer with brown spices in it (cinnamon and nutmeg specifically).  This ale has ginger and clove so, I think I can do it … I really like ginger. 

Appearance: dense black body with a rich tan head and not much on the lacing front but, you can see the legs on the glass

Aroma: oh yes, gingerbread cookie, on the next few sniffs … I pick up the clove and a touch of ginger; toasted grains, a little alcohol in the back

Flavors: brown spice box for sure, the cinnamon and nutmeg are their but are not the only thing going on here … the clove plays a good roll and the ginger is noticeable; toasted grains and malts,


Mouthfeel: sweet malts are in play under the dark roasted notes and brown spice box style; low carbonation, full of flavors, full body, rich, long lingering roasted notes and spice – of course.

To the Point: I really like this Gingerbread Stout.  I would buy it again and maybe even this season (I am tired of holiday brews with cinnamon and nutmeg).


No comments:

Post a Comment