Friday, March 25, 2011

A Beer Review: Fuller’s London Porter


Rich, Dark & Complex
5.4% abv
11.2 oz bottle
$14.00 a six pack
Fuller Smith and Turner PLC
The Griffin Brewery
Chiswick, London, United Kingdom
Fullers-ales.com

When I first smelled the beer I thought my glass had picked up a musty smell but, it must be part of the aroma.  As I continued to figure out the aroma, it did take a couple of minutes till it opened up, I noticed a wonderful rich chocolaty note followed by sweet pumpernickel, coffee/latte, and rich roasted malts. 

The flavors are top notch.  Chicory has a better roasted coffee flavor than coffee and that is what I’ll have to go with for this porter – Chicory.  The chocolate profile is like a dark chocolate swirled with a rich thick milk chocolate.  The toasted grains are pleasing. 

The mouthfeel is just what a porter should be.  Creamy, smooth, mild carbonation, and a flavorful aftertaste. 

This may be my new personal favorite in the Porter category.

No comments:

Post a Comment