Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Angry Orchard Strawman: Review

Angry Orchard Cider Company
Hammondsport, New York, USA


10% abv
750ml Bottle
$13.99 from Westborn
Farmhouse Hard Cider

Interesting – I thought Angry Orchard was from Cincinnati, Ohio; now it is from New York?; Oh, it is from the Boston Beer Company who make Samuel Adams – now it all makes sense.  But, how did they get to New York?  I am not an insider so I don’t know.

The packaging (bottle) is just great on both the Ice Man and Strawman.  If you see it buy it.  

Appearance: shiny crystal amber body with plenty of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass like sparkling wine


Aroma: wet wood; earthy; baked apples

Flavors: the oak wood aging comes through; bitter apple with just a hint of sweet apple; nice touch of citrus on the back – reminds me of lemon meat; the citrus note builds with each sip;


Mouthfeel: Sweet for a second; bitter right after; citrus bite; very acidotic; can I say astringency without being redundant after saying acidotic; sharp on the palate; lingering bitter apple and oak on the aftertaste; very carbonated like a sparkling wine; has a medium to medium-full body; I would say a medium-full body for a cider;

To the Point: be careful, easy to drink with a 10% abv; I really like this hard cider; pair with a good cigar or sharp cheese; I smoked two fine cigars with this bottle and it was great; I’ll buy this again; IPA lovers should try this hard cider; 



No comments:

Post a Comment