Friday, October 7, 2011

Bear Republic XP Pale Ale: Review

5.5% abv
1pt 6oz bottle
$5.50 a bottle
Bear Republic Brewing Co.
Healdsburg, California, USA


Appearance: a shiny golden copper tone with nice clarity and an off white foamy head that leaves plenty of lacing on the glass. 

Aroma: faint nose, yeasty yes, otherwise it is uneventful. 

Flavors: flavors seem light and hard to distinguish.  Notes of grains, grassy hops, slight bitterness, good earthy quality and the malts must be doing their job for the ale seems balanced.  A strange one to review.  Let me just enjoy. 

Okay, on that ‘just enjoy’ level, it’s a pleasing pale ale.  Nothing strong, nothing outstanding, to me nothing interesting from this ale.  I was expecting more since I really liked their Racer 5 IPA.  This one does not light my fire.  Well, in a matter of fact it does not even light the match to light the fire. 

Mouthfeel: low carbonation, strange lingering slightly bitter note that reminds me of a citrus rind. 

My Strength Rating: 6 – a pool of non-descript and muted flavors. 

To the Point: I could care less for this ale.  But, on Beer Advocate, 360 reviewers averaged out for a B+ on this ale.  What do you think?

Visit CigarPostings for the cigar pairing

No comments:

Post a Comment