Saturday, January 15, 2011

Goose Island 2010 Bourbon County: Review


Brand Vanilla Stout


Stout Brewed with Vanilla Beans and Aged in Bourbon Barrels
This Stout has the potential to age up to five years, if you can keep your hands off of it. 

The Stout
Goose Island 2010 Bourbon County
13% abv
650 ml bottle
gift from my The Fine Wine and Liquor Store in Canton, Michigan.
Goose Island Beer Co.
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My Strength Rating: 9; heavy weight on the tongue, with complex flavors and a long lingering aftertaste.

Wow, what an aroma.  The bourbon stands out for sure and there is a good chocolate and vanilla on the nose as well.  I feel like I have a bourbon barrel right in my glass.  Not much in the carbonation department.  There is just a little tan fizz that swirls around on the top of the black body.   

Wow, bourbon for sure on the flavor.  This is a sipper from the get go.  The vanilla bean is present with some good chocolate notes and rich toasted caramel notes.  The texture is thick yet smooth. 
On the back of the palate I taste the oak and get some good alcohol spice.  To me it has a boozy feel. 

As I continue this difficult research project here (tasting beer), I notice a good coffee taste.  The toasted notes change from toasted to roasted to charred and back again.  There is some underlying sweet caramel notes mixed in with some nice bitter notes.  But, the bourbon is still there.  As the stout warms up the thick texture moves to a syrupy mouthfeel.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment