Saturday, July 24, 2010

Shiner Frost Ale: Review


The Ale
Shiner Frost Dortmunder Style Ale
5.5% abv
12 oz bottle
Spoetzl Brewery
Shiner, Texas, USA
My Strength Rating: 4.5
A strong golden body to this ale. Descent head and not much on the lacing of the glass. The malt profile is pretty simple. There is the sweetness (malts doing their job) and a slight roasted quality along with a meaty walnut like taste. The hops are fresh and are there just to keep the malts in check.

Nothing too outstanding here. Nothing bad about it either. It just seems average. There is a lingering dryness on the tongue for the aftertaste.

On the bottle they claim that it is a ‘hearty full-bodied ale.’ I give it a 4.5 on my strength scale which is medium bodied. The only reason I gave the .5 was because of the lingering dryness on the aftertaste. I would call it a hearty medium bodied ale.

This is a seasonal beer, winter. It was the lone six pack on the shelf (here in the month of July) and of course I have to pick it up anyways because I need the bottle cap and it gives me a beer to review. The name Frost sounded refreshing with this heat wave as well. I never had the beer before and I might not have it again. I might try it when it is in season – might.

No comments:

Post a Comment