Monday, May 9, 2011

Old Odense Ale: Review

Norrebro Bryghus
Copenhagen, Denmark
7.5% abv
1pt 4.3oz bottle
$15.00 a bottle
On sale $10.00
Ale brewed with star anise, blackthorn berries, maple syrup and herbs.

Appearance: ruddy brown or dirty copper with a fine off-white head and no lacing.  When I poured the second half of the bottle into the glass (with the sediment) the head was a soft tan color and the body was a bit deeper in color (a well-used penny).

Aroma: nice herbal spice nose and a hint or sour apple.

Flavors: follows the nose; solid herbal spice flavors upfront and a hint of anise. Blackthorn berries also known as ‘sloe berries’ (sloe gin) gives it that nice sour note.  I did not notice much in the maple syrup category.  This ale is fairly sweet tasting (maybe from the syrup?) with a nice sour apple flavor.  

Mouthfeel: light fizzy carbonation, crisp feel, with lingering spiced apple notes dancing on the tongue. 

To the Point: very tasty herbal spice and light sour brew. The sour notes build as the beer warms. 

But, is it worth the $10 price tag?  I would say no to $15 and maybe to the $10. 

Now that I am on the last few sips of this ale – yes, I would pay the $10 to have this again.  $15 – a big maybe.  I would have to have extra change in my pocket to say yes.  And, I do like sour beers. 

My Strength Rating: 4 – nice mellow body.

Here is what it has to say on the back of the bottle, "...brewed with Sam Calagione of Dogfish Head in June 2007.  Smoothly sour and complex with herbal characters."

8 comments:

  1. When did you buy this? Was it only produced once? I've seen it in stores as high as $25.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought it at the Super Fine Wine & Liquor Store in Canton, Michigan. They still had it last week.
    How often is it produced? I don't know that one.

    Have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, but I've been trying to find some for a while now. I'll have to see if they ship. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No luck, doesn't look like they've let go of their website. I used links on BeerAdvocate and Yelp. Both sent me to some generic bar website :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slipped that up, haha, I think you know what I meant haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe we could set up a trade, or a paypal transaction?

    ReplyDelete