Sunday, January 26, 2014

Siberian Night Imperial Stout Bourbon Barrel: Review

Thirsty Dog Brewing Company
Akron, Ohio, USA


10.9% abv
58 IBUs
Best at 44 degrees F.
12 oz bottle
$25.99 a four pack
Aged 11 months in bourbon barrels

Appearance: pitch black body with a half finger tan head that leaves some spotty lacing with some light syrupy looking legs


Aroma: at 40 to 44 degrees Fahrenheit: bourbon; vanilla; oak; dry cocoa; semi-sweet chocolate; think of chocolate fudge ice cream when you take a sniff; damn I love the aroma; as this imperial stout gets to 60 degrees the alcohol starts to pick up on the nose; when this ale warms up, pass the 60 degree mark, the alcohol sure gets boozy

Flavors: follows the nose; vanilla and oak coming from the bourbon barrel aging; rich caramel; toasted toffee; sweet toasted malt grains; dark chocolate like bitterness (90% like dark chocolate) on the back; when the ale warms up the flavors seem more intense; when the ale is too warm it became a little overwhelming – powerful and boozy


Mouthfeel: light carbonation to keep it lively; smooth; light syrupy feel; almost creamy; alcohol becomes a factor when it warms pass the 60 degree point; long aftertaste of roasted notes and firm bitterness

To the Point: I think the nose is better than the taste; don’t get me wrong the taste is pretty good here; I’ll give it 93% on the grading scale – just making an A. 


For the price pretty good but, I am not paying 26 bones for pretty good.  For 26 bucks I want knock my socks off; I want 97% or higher for 26 dollars.  


No comments:

Post a Comment