Saturday, February 27, 2016

Trignac XII 2013 Review

Castle Brewery
Br. Van Honsebrouck


Kasteel Tripel Aged in Cognac Casks
750 ml bottle
12% abv
$60 a bottle

Appearance: lightly cloudy; golden orange body with a thin head half finger bubbly head


Nose: light citrus reminding me of fresh squeezed orange; some white wine stone fruit; light oak; I'm not picking up any cognac notes; pleasing nose but, light overall; as it warms up a little alcohol note comes through and with the fruit notes, oak and a hint of vanilla I get the Cognac now

Flavors: this ale excels in this department; a basket of summer fruits that remind me of a fine Champagne; white grapes, fresh apple, pear, maybe a hint of peach; nice touch of lemon and orange peel; nice floral notes; touch of honey, a hint of vanilla and Belgian candy sugar; the Cognac aging is showing in the flavors; a dash of white pepper coming from the alcohol; a light twist of coriander

Mouthfeel: crisp and dry; sweet up front; fruity; dry grass feel on the finish; fine feel of carbonation; light spicy feel;  

To the Point: I have to admit the price scared me last year when I saw it at the Belgian Fest at Ashley's and at the store that I go to.  This year I said, 'I buy a bottle of wine for a 100 bucks and don't like it, I get over it, so why not a beer.'  But, I love this Ale!  Next time I see this bottle I am buy 6 bottles.  It is that good.





No comments:

Post a Comment