Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Avery 2011 Eighteen: Review



A Dry Hopped Rye Saison Ale
Anniversary Edition
Avery Brewing Company
Boulder, Colorado, USA
averybrewing.com
1pt 6oz bottle
$8.50 a bottle
Bottled May 2011
Retired – no longer made
8.12% abv

I never reviewed this ale before so I don’t know how it has aged.  Let’s see what it is like today. 

Appearance: hazy deep caramel colored body with a one finger beige colored head that leaves some lacing on the glass. 

Aroma: very faint, touch of caramel malts, earthy yeast, sweet yet spicy grains, a little fruity note as it warms up; reminds me of apple and pear

Flavors: much better than the nose, spicy rye, earthy notes, toasted caramel note, undertone of over-ripped stone fruit, dry grassy hops, herbal like,

Mouthfeel: moderate carbonation, nice fizzy feel, moderate bitterness, dry on the back and finish; is it the rye or the dry grassy hops on the finish?  The alcohol did not really come into play. 

To the Point: it’s okay to good; I won’t be running out to buy out the rest; if you find it and want something a little different try it – otherwise I’ll skip it.  I did enjoy it a little more when I didn’t think about it.    


No comments:

Post a Comment