Saturday, April 17, 2010

Short’s Brewing The Magician: Review

Short’s Brew - The Magician - Dark Red London Style Ale

The Ale
Short’s Brewing Company is in Elk Rapids, Michigan. The ale is described as, toasted caramel, raisins, toffee and slight roasted chocolate with very light hop. (shortsbrewing.com/)

It has a nice reddish-brown appearance, in the sun, with a thin head that disappears fairly fast, with very light to no lacing to speak of. The aroma seemed a little light, sweet toffee and bready. I liked the toasted caramel and dry dark fruit notes. The ale does have a good dryness and light bitterness on the palate that makes me think of an English Ale. But, the way the roasted and toasted malts and hops mingle it also makes me think of an Oktoberfest beer. To me there is a nice watery edge that helps to refresh the palate from the dryness of the ale. Now, on the aftertaste, on the gums, I taste a little dark raisin. The moderate carbonation helps to add to the dry style to the taste, otherwise with more carbonation along with the nice little watery edge would wash the palate clean. For my strength rating on this ale I will have to go with a 4.5 or 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment