Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Leute Ale Bokbier: Review

Br. Van Steenberge
Ertvelde, Belgium


7.5% abv
11.2 oz stubby bottle
Style: Strong Dark Ale on BA; Double Bock on Global Beer
Sampler Pack

Appearance: dull opaque ruddy brown body with a tan head that leaves a spot or two of lacing here and there.  Be ready to pour the bottle when you open it for the carbonation just explodes and this bottle sat on the table for at least twenty minutes till I got a chance to open it. 


Aroma: moderate malty bouquet; notes are not clear to me; dark fruits; sweet grain; not very inspiring

Flavors: tastes better than the nose; nice dose of cherry up front followed by dark fruit, milk chocolate and grains; mild hops keep things in balance; as the flavors meld together I think of that cheap box of Valentine candy that has the one piece of chocolate that I did not like … milk chocolate covered cherry.

Mouthfeel: moderate carbonation; light or light-medium in body … to me it is light for the style; thin aftertaste of light tart cherry; not very complex; a tad thin; lacks depth;

To the Point: I don’t get this Bokbier; maybe they are competing with Kasteel Rouge 8; it is better than Kasteel Rouge in my opinion; Kasteel is a cherry cola beer to me; the Leute has some ale qualities at least; a good ‘girls’ beer; I am giving this one a straight out C … 75% for a double bock.  

There are not many ales brewed by Van Steenberge that I don't care for and this is one of those on that short list.  


No comments:

Post a Comment