Friday, June 29, 2012

Gulden Draak 9000 Quadruple

Back in April when I reviewed IPAs I thought my taste buds were shots by the end of the month.  Now here  in June I did Lagers and Pilsners and pure boredom has set in.  So, here is one tasty Quad to end Lager and Pilsner Month.  This is a new beverage from Gulden Draak, just out this year.

Brouwerij Van Steenberge
Belgium
11.2 little stubby bottle
10.7% abv
$19.99 a four pack

Appearance: amber with some golden highlights when held to the light.  White 2 finger plus head.  Some lacing on the glass. 

Aroma: oh the Belgian yeast, stone fruit, maybe a little mango, sweet malts, I didn’t pick up any alcohol till I was halfway through.  Swirl the glass every now and then to reinvigorate the bouquet.  

Flavors: sweet malts surround the fruity notes, stone fruit like the nose with a golden raisin added to the mix, delicate hops to add some balance, tasty yeast in the mix.  Fairly simple … I guess I expected more complexity from this Quad.


Mouthfeel: this is really nice, sweetness when the beverage is on the cold side and then a soft bitterness appears as it warms.  As it warms this ale gets better with each sip.  The carbonation is low with a nice fizzy feel on the palate.  This helps to give it a semi-creamy feel. 

To the Point: the mouthfeel is special.  The flavors are very good but not complex and that is not always a bad thing – for it is a good thing here.  I really like the Gulden Draak 9000.  I will have to pick up a few more to keep it in stock. 

My Strength Rating: 6.5


No comments:

Post a Comment