Saturday, June 29, 2013

Heavy Seas 2013 Holy Sheet: Review

Clipper City Brewing Company
Baltimore, Maryland, USA


Heavy Seas Uncharted Waters 2013
Belgian Style Abbey Ale Aged in Brandy Barrels
1pt 6oz bottle
I got it free (so to say) from Super Fine Wine & Liquor
Only $175 for three cases of beer!
9% abv

I liked the Heavy Seas Holy Sheet Ale that I had a few years ago but, I never see it in the store(s).  It is or was a very tasty ale.  I remember I had to always buy a sampler pack to get it.  I don’t know if they make it any longer, I’ll have to look it up, then I’ll have to find it if they are still making Holy Sheet.


Appearance: the brewery calls it mahogany … I’ll say, dark coffee with deep mahogany highlights when held to the light.  The head was a thin beige color that leaves only a spot of lacing.  On the last pour, as I finish the bottle, I got about a one finger head.

Aroma: deep rich and thick malty tone; dark fruit that reminds me of fig and a nice touch of vanilla, the nose feels creamy,  

Flavors: hints of vanilla, cherry, and honey coming from the barrel aging, dark fruit, faint spicy oak wood, toasted grains, rich creamy dark caramel, nice touch of alcohol and light coffee

Mouthfeel: this is all about the mouthfeel; smooth, thick, sticky, really creamy, no carbonation except for a super fine fizz on the palate, dark sweet roasted notes on the taste and aftertaste

To the Point: overall, this is great.  The mouthfeel is superb, the aftertaste is long, this is a great sipper that is truly tasty and super smooth, be careful of the 9%; I have to give this an A 


This ale is great with a cigar.  I know.  


No comments:

Post a Comment