Monday, September 26, 2011

DOGtoberfest: Review


Marzen - Seasonal
Flying Dog Brewery
Frederick, Maryland, USA
5.6% abv
30 IBU
12 oz bottle
$9.99 a six pack
Purchased at Super Fine Liquor and Beer – Canton, MI

Appearance: deep caramel color with a burnt copper hue and a thin, light beige head.  Not too much lacing happening here. 

Aroma: light bouquet overall, with some sweet wheat bread notes.

Flavors: some roasted caramel, pecans, nice Oktoberfest type spice, and toasted sweet wheat bread.

Mouthfeel: the roasted caramel and spice linger on the palate. Moderate carbonation.  This ‘fest’ has a nice balance between the sweet malts and bitter hops. To me the sweetness is on the delivery and the bitter is on the finish and aftertaste. 


My Strength Rating: 6.5 – the finish and aftertaste puts this one in the medium-full range. 


My dogs are paying attention
to this beer
To the Point: it has been three years since I have had this Marzen.  I forgot how much I liked this DOG.  Overall, a very good Oktoberfest style.  DOGtoberfest is very worthy of a six pack.  Hell, I am buying a case and throwing a party – break out the sausage and the big pretzels.  Anybody own an accordion.

I was screwing around when I did
this review

No comments:

Post a Comment