Thursday, March 10, 2011

Dragonmead Erick the Red: Review

Irish Style Amber Ale
‘Style’ really now.  They wear plaid pants, green hats, and shoes that curl up at the toes.  Do you really want to use the words ‘Irish Style’ on your label?

5% abv
12 oz bottle
Dragonmead Microbrewery
Warren, Michigan, USA
My Strength Rating: 4.5 – because of the piney or spice note other than that I would give it a 3. 

Appearance: reddish-amber color with a fine off-white colored head.  No lacing on the glass and when I was done the glass looked clean.

Aroma: a faint whiff of grains and yeast. 

Flavors: a touch of pine and grassy hoppy notes, decent bitterness, sweet grainy malts to help balance, and water.  Some may call it spice but, I am going with pine for it has a piney texture to it.  The piney note builds as the beer warms up and this is a good thing.

Mouthfeel: crisp, with a touch of that pine lingering on the tongue, big watery edge.

Better than Killian’s.  And, about what I would expect from an Irish Style beer – I’ll give it a C+.  Too bad I bought a six pack.  One or two bottles would have been enough.  As I finished the second half of my glass I started to like this ale a little more.  Maybe I will have a second glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment