Monday, July 26, 2010

Black Wattle Superior: Review

5.8% abv
11.2 oz bottle
Australia
My Strength Rating: 4
Could not find a freshness date on the bottle until I bought it, poured it, was drinking it, and then held the bottle up to the light and then found it – 7 – 21 -08. 08!!! Yes this is 2010! But, it tastes good. Tastes better than some beers with fresh ‘born on dates.’

Also, on the bottle it says, “…infusion of Australian wattle seed.” And, “…balance of flavour and complexity, richness in colour with a lasting creamy head.”

It is said that wattle seed has a chocolate, coffee, hazelnut flavor profile.

Let’s start with the head. A very aggressive pour to get an almost 2 finger head. Then, I turned to put something away in the kitchen drawer and then there was no head. While drinking the beer there was no lacing on the glass either. The color was a cloudy reddish-amber. The nose a little roasty malt character.

The taste followed with a little caramel malts and roasted barely flavors. And, don’t overlook the wheat flavor. I’m busy trying to figure out what a ‘wattle seed’ tastes like and I am ready to overlook the wheat flavor. There does seem to be a slight complexity to the taste. I do not get any chocolate or coffee notes. There is a slight nutty – I could be talked into hazelnut. Needs some hoppy flavors.

The beer does have a watery edge which helps to leave a short finish. Actually, the aftertaste is pretty clean or uneventful – depending how you want to look at it. I might buy it again if I find a fresh bottle.

Buy one bottle to try it. That is better than what I would say for a Bud Light!

No comments:

Post a Comment