Monday, October 11, 2010

Bornem Double Abbey Ale and Hoyo de Monterrey Sultan Double Maduro Cigar


After a summer of wheat beers, pilsners and others of course, it is time to prepare the palate for some fuller strength beers and the Bornem Double Abbey Ale is just that beer to sweeten the palate and prepare for the fall and winter months ahead.

The Bornem Double greets the nose with its dark fruit, caramel and malty aromas. The taste also has that caramel note along with other malty sweetness. The carbonation from this double ale dances across the tongue. Right off the bat I am thinking of a 5.5 strength rating because of the variety of flavors and the mild tartness on the mouthfeel.

I was thinking what goes good with caramel and sweet malty notes but, coffee and some earthy notes. I go to the humidor and grab my old time favorite the Hoyo de Monterrey Sultan Double Maduro Cigar. This 7.2 x 54 big boy should do the trick. The Hoyo line-up is known as the “espresso of cigars.”

I rate this Sultan a 6.5 on my strength scale and the point system works while only moving one point to the stronger side of the ale. During the pairing the Hoyo with its earthy coffee and slight mocha notes tames the sweetness of the ale while I still enjoy the sweet caramel and slight bitterness. The effervescence still plays on while I finish the 750 ml bottle of Bornem Double Abbey Ale.

The sun sets as I finish my last few sips of this ale and my last few puffs of the Sultan. So, I have to say, softly, as I leave you good ol’ summer of 2010, ‘this bottle of Bornem Double Abbey Ale has me ready for the rest of 2010.’

No comments:

Post a Comment