Saturday, July 14, 2012

Short's Brew Nicie Spicie: Review


American Wheat Ale with orange zest, lemon zest,coriander and peppercorns

Short’s Brewing Company
Elk Rapids, Michigan, USA

There is a good dose of sediment in each bottle so, make sure to swirl the bottle to stir up all the goodies.

Appearance: hazy golden wheat with a white head and not much on the lacing front

Aroma: wheat stands out with a good touch of orange peel. Smells summer delicious

Flavors: good job here; tasty wheat, the lemon and orange zest is present without standing out like a sore thumb (thank goodness), there is just a touch of coriander, and like the peppercorn feel on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: since the citrus zest and coriander flavors where not over done it is a pleasing ale to drink.  One thing I have been complaining about for the last two months is lemon in beer – I for one – I am tired of lemon in my beer (didn’t like it much to start with for the fact), the other thing I complain about is sex … oops another discussion … American Craft brewers overdoing the spices is the actual complaint.  When the corianders and cloves are just coating the palate – it is not refreshing.  When the hops have too much of a citrus bite it is not refreshing … just had to squeeze on more complaint in.  I guess that is why I like to go back to German, English, and Belgian beers. 

Off the soapbox. 

I just plain ol’ like this ale.  The mouthfeel is pleasing and interesting at the same time.  I feel like I am drinking something without being violated.  The wheat flavors are on the front with the citrus zest following.  The peppercorns seem to be on the finish and definitely on aftertaste. 

To the Point: this is a must try.  

On my wall of beer caps

No comments:

Post a Comment