Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Warm Welcome Nut Browned Ale: Beer Review


Yes, that is Santa's butt roasting
on the open fire
1pt .9fl oz
6% abv
Ridgeway Brewing
United Kingdom
$6.00 a bottle

The appearance is a rich amber color, not what I expected for a nut brown. The thin off white head disappeared quickly. The aroma has a malty profile and a touch of fruit but, where are the nuts! The malts are forward on the taste, sweet caramelized malts with a touch of yeast. Maybe a little raisin like character but, where are the nuts!

If you are looking for a nut brown ale keep on looking – for this is not a nut brown in my book. The packaging is all that this beer is worth. Damn I wanted a nut brown to go with my cigar tonight. I was looking forward to some roasted malts, toasted flavors, and a nice nutty taste.

After letting the beer sit for a little (maybe if it warms up it will have a nutty taste) and lighting up my cigar maybe this bad impression of a nut brown will liven up. Nope. This is not what I expect to taste when I read Nut Browned Ale. Honey Brown Ale, Double Ale, maybe Amber Ale. I give up on this one. I want a good beer to go with this cigar and listen to a hockey game.

No comments:

Post a Comment