Saturday, April 3, 2010

Greene King Export IPA

5%abv. 500ml bottle English India Pale Ale

This English IPA may not cut it with those American IPA fanatics. This is not a big grapefruit citrus bomb that will destroy your taste buds for the next 12 hours. When I took the first sip I was thinking something is wrong here, no BIG citrus bitterness. The more I drank this beer the more it grew on me. I like the hoppy bitter aftertaste that this ale has. There are other flavors to enjoy as well. The caramel malty notes are there along with some nice nutty and woody characteristics. Nothing stands out and slaps you. You need to pay attention while drinking this ale and you will notice some nice flavors.

I was thinking about the history of this ale while drinking. I thought if I was on that long voyage from England to India on a merchant ship would I want a big grapefruit bomb type IPA to quench my thirst or this flavorful IPA. Hands down this one. You would never have that grapefruit bomb on that ship because that style of IPA makes you want to drink water. Well, in the 1700 and 1800’s they did not drink the water nor did they ship it.

As it says on the bottle, “After much research the master brewers at Greene King have recreated the original IPA taste.”

Must try

No comments:

Post a Comment